Happy Summer! Grilling season is officially in full force, and nothing makes us happier than being able grill on a budget. Here’s the top 4 cheap eats bbq recipes to keep your budget and your guests happy!
Grilled Citrus Fish
These are tasty and are simple to prepare. Use either tilapia or salmon for a great light meal!
- Drop fish filet into a piece of foil.
- Add seasoning.
- Top with slices of citrus fruit (orange, lime, lemon).
- Grill until cooked through.
- Serve with favorite side dishes.
Super easy to throw together and have a relaxed summer night with a hot grill and a tasty meal.
Pork Chops, Peaches, and Red Onion
The two things I remember the last night I made this are the pork chops I bought on sale and the peaches that were also on sale. The total for 4 people? 10.85.
Awesome, right? Here’s the recipe:
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 4 small pork chops
- Garlic powder, sprinkles
- Onion powder, sprinkles
- Salt and pepper
- 3 large peaches, halved and seeded
- 1 medium to large red onion, cut into circle bunches
- Side of homemade rolls or store bought rolls/bread loaf
- Season the pork chops with garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper. Grill the pork chops for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the middle. Grilling time will vary depending on heat of the grill and thickness of the chop.
- Halve the peachesand lay them flesh side down on the grill…ideally over indirect heat. Lay the red onion circles slices over indirect heat as well. Grill each for 6 to 8 minutes, flipping the red onions once.
- Prepare homemade or store bought bread.
- Serve Grilled Pork Chops, Peaches and Red Onions with a side of bread.
Greek Chicken Kebabs
Now, let’s talk about these kebabs.
Chicken pieces soaked in a lemon-oregano vinaigrette. Then threaded with some green olives, red onion, bell peppers and zukes. (I wasn’t originally going to include zucchini because I don’t think of those as being very ‘Greek,’ but I threw them on because we had some and because I knew the kids would eat their veggies if I served them. Include them or don’t, that’s up to you.) Then grilled to perfection. Then devoured.
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 20 minutes*
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 3 bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/2″ circles
- about 18 whole green or black olives
- Simple side salad
- In a large bowl, add the chicken pieces, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano and salt and pepper. *Let marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Cut up the veggies and prepare the string the skewers.
- Once the chicken has marinated, string the chicken pieces, red onion pieces, bell pepper pieces, zucchini pieces and olives.
- Grill for 10-15 minutes, rotating 2 or 3 times, until chicken is cooked through and veggies have softened. Grilling time may vary depending on heat on the grill and size of the chicken pieces.
- Serve Greek Chicken Kebabs with simple side salad.
Chicken & Potato Stir Fry
I absolutely had to include a grilling recipe in here. Get yourself a grilling basket—it’s not just for veggies! I use mine for grill-fry meals like this. It’s super easy and totally tasty. It gives the chicken a smoky flavor and the potatoes are sublime. Keep the heat out of the kitchen and just cook the entire meal out on the grill!
Chicken and Potato “Stirfry” on the Grill
Yield – 4 adult servings
Prep Time – 15 minutes plus marinade time
Cook Time -20 minutes
2 chicken breasts, about 1 lb., cut into bite size pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp garlic and onion grill seasoning
4 medium Idaho potatoes
1 green pepper, seeded and diced
1 onion, diced
Watermelon, or other fresh fruit, on the side
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and place in a mixing bowl with the olive oil, red wine vinegar and seasoning. Let marinate at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Microwave the potatoes for a few minutes before slicing. (This willhelp them cook faster on the grill.)
- Toss the potatoes, diced peppers and diced onions with the chicken pieces.
- Place the mixture into the grill basket and cook for about 20 minutes, or until chicken pieces have cooked through. Toss and turn the chicken and vegetables often while they are grilling. Use caution as grill basket handle is hot!
- Serve with ketchup and a side of fresh fruit like watermelon or other fresh fruit.